Today I took Mini out for the second shake-down run this season
First I changed to brand new sparking plugs, then I rolled her outside, and torqued wheels – about 1-2 flats each bolt.
On our first run, we had observed that under hard braking, the car pulled right. I adjusted the (front) brakes, and found the left free, so I cranked down on the adjusters ( pumping the pedal after each adjuster). On the right, the adjustment was tighter _ explains pull _ but there are two high spots.
Back on the ground, I added oil (SU oil) to the SU dashpots (when all else fails!) and started up – right off.
Since this car does not enjoy cold running, I warmed her up at 2000-3000 RPM, until I had 140 H2O temp, and then went for a little cruise.
o Brakes much better, pedal better, less pull.
o car ran well
o new turn signal works well
Back in the garage, I measured the ride height (wheel to fender arch), put everything away, and declared it a good day!
As for any leaks, I am going to wait for all the old stuff to leave…
Thanks to all who have helped, esp. Brad, Don, and Chuck
I tried to adjust the clutch, and found I had to bleed it. I tried to bleed it – using the pressure bleeder – and ran into difficulty. Chuck Linick came over, and we discovered the source of this problem: a small hole in the bottom of the master cylinder.
New part on order.
Chuck also looked at the leak from the rocker cover cap, and we decided to order a new one – see picture.
On this saturday, I did some organization and cleanup in the garage, charged the batteryand then I removed the plugs,added oil to the cylinders, and brought up oil pressure (to 60 lbs.in**2) on the starter.
I put the plugs back in, and started, running until the excess oil was burned out.
Tried to put in gear, but problem: I diagnosed clutch adjustment.