The new valve cover gaskets and upper gaskets arrived. I am going to install the latter, and see if they help, so, I decided to give Mini an update and a test run.
o I adjusted the brakes
o removed the grille and verified their are no leaks around oil filter
o replaced the grommets under the valve cover hold downs.
Went for run
o ran fine, after warmed up
o brakes worked well
When I pulled into the garage, I went to open the bonnet to check for oil, but I did not have to: it was leaking out.
When I opened it up, I observed that the valve cover gasket was askew. (see photo below)
When I removed the hold downs, I may have moved the cover and disturbed it.
At any rate:
o I shall remove cover
o clean surfaces
o replace with new gasket, glued to the cover
o add oil
o and retest
(N.B.: I don’t think that Melissa from California closets was the cause…)